Event: Bressan Wine Maker Dinner
Restaurant: Jacob’s Bar & Kjøkken
Date: Saturday, March 13th 2010
Host: Fulvio Bressan, Vinosseur, 213 W Wine Imports
I have done a producer profile on Bressan in past posts, but nothing I have written could have prepared me for such a down to earth warm person such as Fulvio. Energetic and outgoing, Fulvio entertained everyone at our table and the other tables as we made our rounds to introduce him to our guests. I thought I was going to have my work cut out for me with the translating from Italian, but it turns out that Fulvio’s grasp of English is very good, making my job a little easier. The turn out was better than anticipated with a completely full restaurant with even a few tables being turned.. for quaint little Bergen, this is quite a feat! Read the rest of this entry »
Here’s the latest update. Even though I practically eliminated my entire Champagne selection, this month I have added a new Champagne. Drappier’s Brut Nature is organic and made without the addition of sulfur dioxide. This isn’t the only sans soufre wine added this month! 4 more un-sulfured wines were added (for a total of 5) and one that has no detectable sulfur! The most stunning Beaujolais Nouveau I have ever tasted also arrived at Jacob’s yesterday!
- Drappier Brut Nature – Sans Soufre! – Champagne, France
- Murgo Spumante Metodo Classico Non Dosage 2006 – 100% Nerello Mascalese! – Mt. Etna (Sicilia), Italy
- Crêt de Ruyère/Cathy & Jean-Luc Gauthier (with Jean-Marc Brignot) “biojô nuovo ;-)” Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau 2009 – No detectable sulfur! – Burgundy, France – A stunning Beaujolais Nouveau like only Jean-Marc Brignot can bottle!!
- Domaine Le Mazel Cuvée Raoul 2008 – After being sold out of the 2007 for about 6 weeks, the 2008 is finally here! – Southern Rhône, France
- Domaine des 2 Ânes Fontanilles 2006 – Corbieres, Languedoc-Roussillon, France
- La Treille Muscate (Catherine Marin-Pestel) L’Effrontée Magnum 2007 – 100% old vine Carignan – no sulfur added!! – Languedoc-Roussillon, France
- Domaine Robert Sérol Les Vieilles Vignes 2009 – 100% Gamay – Loire Valley, France
- Domaine Robert Sérol (L’)Incorruptible 2009 – 100% Gamay, No added sulfur!! – Loire Valley, France
- Bressan Cru Pignol 1999 – 100% Pignolo grape, No added sulfur!! – Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Italy
Click on the Treille Muscate Label below to check out the latest wine list!
I thought that publishing my top 9 list would be fun for people to see and also for me to look at in the future to see if my favorites remain my favorites and also to watch my moods change! Why is it a top 9 list instead of a top 10 list? Why not? For now, the wine style I can’t seem to get enough of is that lightish red colored, fresh and slightly CO2’d wine sitting at between 11 and 12% alcohol. Wine number 2 is a good example of what I am talking about (although the last bottle I drank noted an alcohol of 12.5.5% – there’s no mistake in my post, this is exactly the way it was printed on the label)! (I have left out vintages because I didn’t feel that they were necessary here.. )
- 1. Frank Cornelissen Munjabel Bianco
- 2. Jean-Marc Brignot Rayure
- 3. Camillo Donati Rosso della Bandita
- 4. Laureano Serres Montagut Vinyes Arrencades Blanc 2008 *
- 5. Maison Pierre Overnoy Arbois Pupillin
- 6. Domaine Le Mazel Cuvée Raoul
- 7. Camillo Donati Malvasia Secco
- 8. Domaine Griottes P’tite Gâterie
- 9. Jean-Pierre Robinot Concerto d’Oniss
* (I noted the 2008 vintage here because this is the first and only vintage of this wine I have ever tasted.)
Of course I have many more favorites and could have made this list quite long… but these are my favorite 9 for now!